Signs Of Drug Abuse and Drug Addiction – Cocaine and Crack
Cocaine is derived from the coca plant, found in parts of South America. Chewing the leaves of this plant has been a tradition for millenia for the native Indians needing a quick stimulant in their cold and arid climates.
When the coca leaf is processed, cocaine is produced. Once used as a painkiller and artificial stimulant in patent elixirs, pure cocaine became a drug of choice for many.
Cocaine addiction can occur very quickly and be very difficult to break.
Animal studies have shown that animals will work very hard (press a bar over 10,000 times) for a single injection of cocaine, choose cocaine over food and water, and take cocaine even when this behavior is punished.
Animals must have their access to cocaine limited in order not to take toxic or even lethal doses.
People addicted to cocaine behave similarly. They will go to great lengths to get cocaine and continue to take it even when it hurts their school or job performance and their relationships with loved ones.
Signs of Cocaine, Crack Abuse and Addiction
Drug Addict Physical Appearance
- Glassy eyes
- Very very large pupils (hidden by sunglasses on occasion)
- A nose that appears raw and red (if they sniff the drug)
- Needle marks in arms, behind knees, or ankles
- Do they wear long sleeve shirts even in hot weather to cover their arms
- Scabs/burns on mouth, burn marks on fingers or arms
- Scabs on arms, face, legs from picking
- Teeth that are weak/broken
- Loss of weight
Drug Addict Mannerisms or Behavior
- Erratic, restless, anxious behavior, irritable
- Trouble sitting still or relaxing, nervous, aggressive
- Do they itch and scratch often picking at parts of their arms, legs, or face
- Long periods of no sleep
- After being up for extended periods of times will “crash” and sleep for extended periods of time
- Tends to move fast, often repeating the same action for hours (cleaning, fixing something)
- May have no appetite or interest in food
- Ramble in their conversation, jumping from one subject to the next
- Constantly sniffing, despite lack of cold or allergies
- constantly licking lips, extremely thirsty
- May sweat profusely
- Sudden change in appetite or weight
Drug Addict items around or hidden in the house, bedroom, etc.
- Little baggies with white powder or crystal-looking residue
- Glass pipes, pipes with a bulb at the end, steel pipe or antenna broken with small pieces of brillo pad in them
- Used or new hypodermic needles
- Empty soft drink cans bent and tiny holes poked in them with burn marks at tiny holes
- Very powerful butane lighters with a strong jet flame
If you see these signs, get help.